Return to list post new topic
print

Was age a factor in Mayweather vs Maidana?

Was age a factor in Mayweather vs Maidana?

Mayweather narrowly escaped with a majority decision victory in a fight that could have conceivably gone either way. Mayweather was tested… and that is exactly what boxing fans were looking for.

Official scores were 114-114, 117-111 and 116-112, and FightSaga scored it 115-113 for the ‘Money Man’
Boxing: Mayweather vs. Maidana II – LIVE

With the rematch less than two weeks way, Mayweather believes he’ll be stronger in the return bout and compares his upcoming fight to his rematch against Jose Luis Castillo in 2002.

“I think I have gotten much stronger in this training camp [for Maidana rematch],” Mayweather recently told Steve Farhood.

“I’m making sure that my body is stretched the right way. Every camp is different but I feel comfortable and I’m pretty sure my opponent is ready to fight because I am. All I try to do is to stay positive and get good work in.”

Mayweather vs Maidana Live

An aggressive Maidana pounced on Mayweather from the opening bell, unloading wild shots from odd angles to fluster the pound-for-pound king who spent a fair amount of time with his back to the ropes. He bullied Floyd at times and surprisingly landed nearly as many punches as Mayweather.

But in the end, Floyd would make adjustments in the second half of the bout and do just enough to earn the victory on two of the three judges’ cards.
“If you look back at the fight, I think it was very exciting for the first three or four rounds and out of 12 rounds, I would say he won three rounds, but I dominated for nine rounds.”
“I am able to make adjustments and adapt very, very easily. I’ve made adjustments before, even with my last rematch almost 12 years ago against [Jose Luis] Castillo.”
“I’m in tip top shape and am a lot stronger this fight than when I first fought Maidana. My conditioning is also exactly where it needs to be.”

While some believe Floyd was the beneficiary of a poor decision in his first bout with Jose Luis Castillo, the rematch was not controversial. In that bout, Floyd refused to get in the trenches with his foe and used jabs and right leads to keep Castillo off balance to win a unanimous decision in a competitive but uneventful affair.

Return to list